Welcome back to the Top 5 blog. We’re gonna do a two-fer today.
Valentine’s Day is in less than 48 hours. I’m single these days thanks to my divorce. So I don’t have anyone here (pout) to spend Valentine’s Day with. I think my favorite Valentine’s Day is when I surprised an Ex (well we were dating at the time.) I spent a week convincing her we weren’t doing anything for Valentine’s Day. Then she showed up at my place and found this:
I hate Valentine’s Day, but I’m a sucker for romance. I’m a complex guy sometimes. So yeah, two Top 5’s. They are polar opposites of each other in a way. There are two types of ballads in this world. The “I love you so much” ballad and the “I’m so sad without you” ballad. So we’re going to look at both. With so many great songs out there in both categories, it’s hard to do an accurate top 5 for either. I can promise you I will miss some great songs on both lists. But I’m going to do my best to get them. If not, they will show up in next year’s Valentine’s Day lists!
Happy Love songs:
5. Can’t Smile Without You by Barry Manilow – I believe this was two of my friends’ wedding song. It’s not a true ballad, but it’s a great love song. It’s more upbeat than most ballads.
4. The Luckiest by Ben Folds – Another of my friend’s sang this to his bride after their ceremony. There’s a part of the song that is a little creepy, but it’s still a very sweet song.
3. Amazed – Lonestar – Country has so many great love songs, and I would be remiss if I didn’t include this song.
2. Arthur’s Theme (The Best That You Can Do) – Christopher Cross – You don’t have to be in New York City to fall in love with this song.
1- Can’t Help Falling In Love – Elvis Presley –
Sad Love Song.
5. I Can’t Make you Love Me by Bonnie Raitt – I think 95 % of us have been in this boat. In love with someone that doesn’t love you back, no matter what you do. It’s a sad sinking boat.
4. Somewhere Out there – Linda Rondstant and Aaron Neville Or wanted to be with someone but they were far away…
3. Someone Like You – Adele Or worse yet, trying to deal with a break up when the other person has already moved on……
2. Against All Odds by Phil Collins – Maybe you’re hoping that they will come back…
1- At This Moment – Billy Vera and The Beaters To the point that you’re willing to even bargain with life.
Yeah, I totally missed a lot of great songs. But like I said, it’s nearly impossible. So depending on what boat you’re in this Tuesday, here’s to you.
I’ll be back tomorrow with another Valentine’s Day Top 5. Until then, have a good one everybody.